I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Monday 11 October 2010

More Shuffling About

I'm having great fun trying to operate my little winery at full capacity. Today I moved 5 gallons of Blueberry & Cranberry wine to DJ's (from a 5 gallon fermenting vessel). Well I thought it was 5 gallons but actually turned out to be 4 and a bit. It looked like it was about 2 litres short of a full 5 gallons.

So I have made one gallon into a "special". As its a light wine anyway I decided not to top up with a sugar solution alone as this would risk making the wine too thin. So I used a litre of white grape juice (gravity 1070) and a litre of sugar solution (gravity 1090). The result is that the wine will retain it's OG of 1080 ish. I thought any little adjustment after that could be made with water alone ... but it turned out that exactly 2 litres of liquid was needed!

So next time you see "special" or "limited edition" on a bottle you might wonder a little more than you did before  ;-)

I'll be playing with next 5 gallon batch of the same wine tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting