I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Sunday 13 February 2011

Bottling & Racking

ah, it's satisfying squeezing wine-making into a busy day. Today I managed to do just that and even take some piccies. So let's start with racking ...

The 2 gallons of Muscat wine cleared some time ago (compare to the pea souper in the last pic of them 2nd image there), the finings doing their job in days, but then me taking a little longer than usual to rack the wine off the sediment. The taste is quite stunning, very grapey and in character with the fruit variety that was pressed, especially the skins. However it's very acidic and I think that a glass or two would be a challenge for any stomach. This means I'll be venturing into new territory and looking into reducing acidity. I believe this is essentially adding chalk, but research is needed. Alternatively it may be a case of balancing the acidity by adding sugar, back-sweetening is the vintner's term for this. There is also a 3rd option, blending with a wine that has low acidity. The 3rd option is not so appealing even tho I've done it before, because I like the character of the wine and feel blending will cause this to be lost.


The picture shows the 2 gallons of Muscat, white wine. The dark DJ is the other wine I racked tonight. The Vieux Chateau Du Roi. It threw a pretty huge sediment. The sneak taste i got when racking was delicious, but that is the last time I'll taste it until the back end of the year.

Onwards then, for there was more activity. I bottled 3 gallons of wine too. 1 gallon each of Blueberry & Cranberry, Tanglefoot (note it's not the latest one), and Elderflower. I know what to expect of each and I'm happy with each. Tho the Tanglefoot is something of a rarity as it's a favourite. It's delicious, again.

 
So here is a piccie of the assorted bottles, soon to have neck sleeves fitted and laid down (if corked), or drunk if fitted with screw caps. At the front Blueberry & Cranberry, back Tanglefoot, in the middle Elderflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting