I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Friday 17 June 2011

A Little Update + Piccies

We're about half way through the year and my thoughts are turning to the next brew so that I stay on target for 50 gallons this year. All of which means it's been a busy(ish) time in the winery. Last night I bottled a gallon of Pomegranate quickie, the last one. Hopefully the first batch of the Elderflower quickie will soon be ready to drink, otherwise I'll have to drink the really good stuff when I fancy a tipple rather than saving it for special occasions.

Talking of good stuff, I also bottled the last gallon of Mint wine last night. The first gallon was nice, but didn't have much of a mint flavour, tho it was cooling. So for this lot I waited until the mint in the garden had grown enough to allow me to crop a little and still leave plenty. I took 6 big sprigs, 3 each of Garden mint and Apple (or maybe Morrocan) Mint. Then gently washed them and stuck one in each bottle. To help ensure nothing weird happened I added campden (1 tablet) to the gallon of wine and then siphoned into the bottles containing the sprigs of mint. The hope is that I'll get some good flavour extraction, and put the mint back into this wine. If not then it's a nice wine anyway, being over 18 months old. Looks pretty too

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting