I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Monday 8 November 2010

Fast Ferment

When I moved the Muscat wine from primary to secondary it seemed to have done it's usual and momentarily stopped pushing gases through the airlock. However next morning it was the same, very very slow. I added a pinch of nutrient to each DJ to see if there was any change. Two days later, no change. I was wondering if I had my first ever stuck ferment and the thick layer of sediment also urged me on. So I racked it and in doing so got a sip. That was informative, this taster was NOT sweet! So I measured the gravity, 1001. Wowzer, that was a fast ferment, especially in a cool house. Far too soon to guess at the wine's final qualities, it's pretty sour but there are no off tastes.

Now it's back to the familiar routine of waiting patiently for a sediment and the start of clearing, then racking, degassing and stabilising. I expect it'll drop a few points in gravity in the next few weeks.

The moral of the story: DON'T PANIC

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting