I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Wednesday 3 November 2010

Would You Believe ... More Racking

Just managing to keep up with my aim of racking and bottling daily for a few days. Late last night I pulled out some DJ's to see which were ripe for racking. Found the oaked rosés and got cracking. I have a bit of a cold/flu thing lingering so the taste buds and nose haven't got back to their usual raggedy best yet but they are not far off. But wow did I get a surprise!

I formulated the recipe myself, which was exciting and a timely challenge having never done so before. Usually I take an existing recipe and tweak it to my tastes. But these were my own, not saying no-one has done anything like it before of course, the recipe is simple enough.

Anyway, the wines have a great feel in the mouth, a level of astringency that compliments the acidity, infact I think it would be fair to say the balance altogether is spot on. I can't discern the oak flavours tho. Possibly it's because I'm not accustomed to it and don't know what to "look" for. Possibly because of the tail end of that cold/flu thing. Both acids work well and the difference between the wines is only marginal. One a little fruitier, the other a little crisper, a good comparative experiment to have done in the long journey of educating myself on wine-making.

I wouldn't say it's the best wine I've ever made, but there may have been no better. It all comes down to your mood and setting I reckon. So if you have never played with brewers oak chips then i heartily recommend this wine when you feel experimental, especially if you like to keep the whole process simple (wines from cartons of juice).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting