I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Tuesday 22 June 2010

Cork Thoughts

So what's this gratuitous picture then?
These are corks recently pulled from 2 bottles of wine. As the astute amongst you will be aware I didn't use a corkscrew, I used a two-pronged type bottle opener. The first one I got to know went under the brand name of "Ahso" if i remember right. Anyway the cork on the left is the type I have been using most often for med-long term storage. The one on the right was the type I was using 2 years ago. It had leaked every so slightly, you couldn't see any volume change, but the neck of the bottle was sticky and the top of the cork a little sticky too. It was also a little grey/green in the "grain" of the cork. The ones on the left don't seem to do this. And I'm telling you all this because the right one came out of tonight's bottle of Rosehip & Star Anise wine (see earlier post) and it hasn't suffered at all for this.

I'm still not sure which cork is best, but when I opened the Rosehip & Star Anise it felt like I was opening a 50 year old bottle and was quite exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting