I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Monday 7 June 2010

Racking Tales Part 2

2 Gallons of what I call Cheapskate Rosé also racked and degassed. It's made by using the lees from a Beaverdal Shiraz kit, which contains active yeast and oak chips. This was the wine that was the inspiration behind making the two oaked rosés, as I thought it would be nice to have a good rosé that didn't entail buying an expensive first.

So, upon racking I got a sip of course. It tastes lighter than the oaked rosés, and is both smoother and rounder, tho it is a few weeks older so that should be expected. The cheapskate was made with citric acid additions, so can't compare it with the tartaric version of the oaked with any authority. But comparison to the citric oaked it is reasonable. My verdict is that they would be quite remarkably similar if I used less oak chips in my oaked rosé version.

So all in all, again a good result, both for the wine and the experiment to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting