I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Monday 7 June 2010

Racking Tales Part 1

At last got around to the racking etc of a number of gallons that needed sorting.

First was this year's Beaverdale Shiraz; already tasting good enough to drink, tho I really want to put this away and forgot about it for at least a year. So it'll get a safety bung and be placed in the deepest darkest recess I can find.

Second up was 2 oaked (french chips) rosés made from cartons of pressed red grape juice (3.5 litres per gallon) OG 1072, Gervin B (black label) yeast. The only difference between the two was in the acid adjustment. One was done with tartaric acid, and the other with citric acid. The ferment was messy, which I don't like, but both taste pleasant already, the citric one has a ... well citrus note to it. The tartaric one is crisper and simpler.

I must say that while the difference is obvious when you are primed to look out for one, I don't think I would have noticed otherwise. Personally I prefer the tartaric so from now on all rosés I make with RGJ only will only have tartaric acid added. As for other fruit juices I'll make my mind up as I go along.

All in all very pleased with the results, both the "finished" wines, and the experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting