I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Tuesday 21 September 2010

Racking Blackberry Wines

I've just racked 5 gallons of blackberry wine. These were two batches, one made with Sauternes yeast (my trusted favourite) and the other made with GV1 (a recommendation). I wanted to see what all the fuss is about so made them as identical as I could with the one exception of the yeast strain.

They have both pretty much cleared already, both were low foaming (so not messy), both thrown a similar amount of compact sediment too, and both took about the same time to ferment. Very similar all in all. The proof of the wine will be in the drinking which probably won't happen for some months yet. Tho I may sneak a glass when I bottle in a few months.

Next up will be degassing and stabilising. Shouldn't need any finings for either batch ... so vegan wines, good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting