I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Thursday 29 July 2010

Blackberry Kit Grrrrr

Grrrrr because I really thought it was Black Cherry. When I was checking the instructions I kept seeing blackberry and thinking they had printed the berry instructions on the cherry kit. That wouldn't have been a problem 'cos I still have the cherry instructions from the last kit. However when I turned the label over, there it was, plain as day "Blackberry", and here's the gratuitous piccie


So then I was left wondering do I start this kit up, or the Beaverdale Vieux Chateau Du Roi. Which is something like a Chateau Neuf Du Pape clone. Might seem like a no brainer, but it was a tricky decision because out of around 30 DJ's I only have 5 empties, 3 will be needed for the Blueberry & Cranberry Quickie Wine and 1 spare is always good for racking. I want to use the lees from the Beaverdale Kit straight after it finishes fermenting to start another brew. So that would leave me 1 DJ short. So, despite my impatience to try this Beaverdale Kit, I have to hold off.

Anyway, looking on the bright side the blackberry kit holds some excitement. When I read the ingredients label it says, for the juice:

  • Concentrated Grape Juice
  • Glucose Syrup
  • Concentrated Blackberry Juice
  • Concentrated Elderberry Juice
  • Citric Acid
  • Sulphur Dioxide

"Hmm" I thought "that's very similar to the Blackberry & Elderberry Wines (red and rosé) that I made last year". With some obvious exceptions of course like mine were done on the pulp etc. So a comparison will be kind of cute, and how timely is it that I only just described those brews too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting