I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Monday 12 July 2010

Improved Mint Wine

First time round the mint wine was very much an experiment, proof of concept if you like. It worked well enough to warrant a proper run, so 2 gallons got put on in November last year, made with mint from the garden. Varieties included Garden (70%), Apple (20%) and Moroccan (10%). OG was 1089, FG 993 gives 13% ABV.

The result is a medium wine, typical white wine colour, light golden/straw. Clear as a bell. The mint flavour is quite delicate, as is its cooling effect. I suspect this wine will be a great one for clammy summer evenings. I'm also keen to find out how it goes with food, a mild curry perhaps. I reckon we'll drink it chilled, maybe even with ice!

I'm pleased with it, and we have plenty of mint in the garden again this year so more will be brewed soonish. Here's the recipe. In the meantime the 5 and 1/2 bottles left and the full DJ yet to be bottled, will just have to keep us going through this summer!


And here is a gratuitous picture of some of my bottled mint wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting