I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Sunday 4 July 2010

What a Good Night

Throughout the week I've glugged my way through a few bottles of wine, and I haven't blogged .... naughty me! But tonight a neighbour dropped in and we opened a couple of bottles. So as best as I can reliably describe opinions here we go ...

We started off with a commercial Aussie Shiraz from Margaret River. Delicious, fruity, medium, soft, easy drinking. Served at room temp. Meanwhile a blackberry wine was being hurredly chilled in the freezer followed by the fridge. The blackberry was well received as a big rosé (more body than is typical of a rosé), tho a touch sharp. Having despatched that, and with the clock marching on, a dessert wine was suggested. So the Orange & Elderflower was rolled out. This went down a storm. Described as being very much a dessert wine, elderflower dominating, citrus giving a frizz like feel, plenty of viscosity, loads of body, ample acidity for balance. Not typical of a dessert wine cos of the citrus edge and the flower bouquet but nevertheless completely at home as a dessert wine.

So I feel good! The blackberry wine was simply an on the pulp wine, but made with blackberries from a trained and pruned cane. The Orange & Elderflower was a 50/50 blend, that largely resulted from the better half suggesting that it would work. I'll post recipes in time. I hope you stay tuned, our neighbour has a palate that I trust but to say more than that could be seen as bragging. Which leaves me in a pickle cos now I have said too much already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting