I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Tuesday 24 May 2011

Another Pomegranate Update

So the Pomegranate Quickie has cleared, been racked, degassed and stabilised. Some has ven been bottled and some of that has been drunk. All in the last few days tho, so I'm not too tardy with reporting back to you.

What can I say, yet again this formula for a quickie wine has worked out. i.e. 2 litres of juice (one of which is grape juice) per gallon of wine, and an OG of around 1075. It took 3 months rather than 6-8 weeks because I'm a little fussier these days and knew I could get it to clear with a little effort or waiting.

So it's  a very pale pink. crisp, refreshing, sharpish and clean. The ABV worked out to be a little shy of 11.5%. It's fruity, but light and the nearest I can get to nailing a flavour is raspberry which comes quickly. I don't think it would do any harm for this to be 11%ABV rather than 11.5%, so that would perhaps be my aim for next time, just a bit less sugar.

Overall verdict, cracker of a wine for something that is so easy to make, so quick to finish, and at around 30p per bottle there is just no complaining. It's table wine quality but if you gave this to your mates (especially the women as men tend to have an irrational aversion to rosé) they wouldn't believe this was your version of plonk. Its perfect for those hot summer days, BBQ's, picnics and sitting in the park etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting