I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Friday 20 May 2011

Drinking Blackberry Wine

Watching a cheesy horror flick (triangle) with a glass of Blackberry Wine from 2009, which makes it 20 months old. Last time I tried this was probably 6 months and my thoughts at the time were recorded with the recipe linked above.

In short, it was then harsh and acidic, but promised much. Now it's stunning, crisp, clean, bright and the fruit is fresh tasting. It's well balanced but not the big wine that you would get if you're used to paying  £5 or less for a bottle of red. That's our usual price range. This is more like what you would get for £8-10. It's no longer harsh and there are no strange flavours that I can't put my finger on. Neither is it too acidic.

I didn't like using GV2 yeast, it foamed a lot (so was messy) and threw a big sediment. But upon drinking this wine I think I may try it again. It's hard to say it's down to the yeast, and I'm not doing that, but it's certainly worth considering trying it again. I think I'll let the haul of blackberries decide me, enough for 4-5 gallons and I'll go with GV2. Less than that and something easier to work with will be my choice (Sauternes or GV1), choosing a Malic acid reducing yeast may speed up the time of getting the acidity down, in which case Gervin D.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed the newer batches of GV2 are marketed as 'low foam'. I'm giving it a spin with this years blackberry wine, I'm hoping this is a revised yeast and not a mis-print. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. upon checking my updated gervin yeast pamphlet from 2013 it seems it is now low foaming, not a misprint. Thanks for drawing my attention to this, i'll keep it in mind for next year. I've just finished fermenting this year's wines using GV11.

      Delete

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting