I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Saturday 15 May 2010

Scaling up

Sometimes you get to a point on a learning curve when you have a decision to make, I've been hovering around making that decision for some months, but today I decided.

Last year I made 4 gallons of Elderflower wine and it was a stunner. Shortly after making it I learned that I could make the same volume of wine using only a fraction of the flowers. The trick is to add the flowers later into the ferment. Apparently this avoids so much of the volatile flavours being blown out of the airlock while the ferment is vigourous. I suspect the increased level of alcohol in the must is a good solvent for said molecules, better than water alone anyway, and that this adds to the effect. So I had to decide, pick less flowers and make the same amount, or scale up. Scale up won out.

So today I bought myself a new 5 gallon fermenting vessel, with a wide neck and an airlock. I'll now be able to add my flowers, in muslin bags, during secondary fermentation. Getting them out will be no probs, and I wont be fiddling about with single gallon demijohns and sieves. I'll probably still do a similar batch to last year; flowers in at primary stage etc. Ensuring that I get a true comparison of the methods. All in all there could be as much as 10 gallons this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting