I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Saturday 7 August 2010

Just Drinking

Are you ready for a piccie free ramble .... hmm, since I last wrote the only brewing I have done has been drinking. Well ok, let's call it quality control or product assessment or something fancy like that!

A couple of nights ago I had Green Tea & Ginger wine. Delicious wine, and it's always a pleasure to say "thank you" to Mrs Critter Wines for inspiring me to make it. It's one of our favourites. I really should save it for eating with spicy food, but as I made 5 gallons this time I reckon I can indulge myself from time to time (as the brewer: for a surprise inspection - ensuring quality - at any time I want to). And I've also taken to making quickie wines (for example this, and this, and this) which have enabled us ... hmmm me I confess, to keep the good stuff longer.

Tonight I popped open a bottle of almost 2 year old rice 'n' raisin wine. This is a CJJ Berry recipe. Look him up on amazon for books. He's great for novice brewers and ideas, not perfect tho mainly 'cos of being a pioneer so his recipes are a bit outdated. His wines tend to be strong and sweet, so simply cut back on his sugar additions if this is not your style. Anyway, this wine is not sweet, but it is strong. And WHOOOAAA has a few months made a difference. It now has a wonderful texture, almost oily, very smooth, kinda silky. And there is no harshness left. But it is still obviously strong. Luckily there's plenty to the wine, bodywise, so it can carry this strength and be a very warming wine. I think there is only one bottle left now. Dunno when that will get opened but chances are it'll me who drinks it cos I don't think it's Mrs Critter Wines cup o' tea at all.

1 comment:

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting