I like to brew wine; It's only a hobby but I'm obsessed!
This is the place to be if you want to see what another brewer is up to or want some encouragement to start or diversify. I've posted heaps of recipes (clicky) and 2 wine-making vids (here for wine made from cartons of juice blog / youtube, and here for Blackberry wine on the pulp blog / youtube).
If you're new here then do explore, take this link for tips about where to find what you're interested in.


Tuesday 17 August 2010

More Blackberries

I revisited the favourite blackberry picking spot yesterday. Prior to setting off I made the decision not to get carried away and take ages. But when I got there I was not alone and in a flash the decision was scrapped because I thought the pickings may be limited.

After about an hour me and the other pickers met. It looked like they had a few kilos, but it was very cute, a Mum (I guess) and children. The children all with a mass of purple staining from their noses to their chins and from one cheek to the other. Very cute. They told me they were going to make pies, and my plans to make wine got some interest, tho I don't think they are converts!

Anyway, eventually bad light stopped play, so home it was. 4.5 kg of berries came from my efforts. I'll rummage about in the garden later and see what else I can find there, it'll make 3 gallons of wine. The recipe will be the same as the one below, scaled up of course, with the exception of using Sauternes yeast rather than GV1. Tho I will write it up soon enough so that it's easily found from the recipe links page.

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I enjoyed browsing through your blogsite and would love to join you for a sip of these enticing wines. Your preference of scrounging for natural ingredients set me wondering what we have in our local ozzie bush that could be used. Certainly the pomegranates at Pinakarri tend to go to waste each year. Mind you I still haven't made limoncello which couldn't be simpler. warm wishes, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya Robyn, nice to see you here and glad you've enjoyed browsing.

    you're right about the pomegranates, the should make a decent drop. may need to add a little grape juice at the start of the ferment, just supermarket cartons is fine. There's probably heaps of berries that you could use, as long as you know what they are. Rosehips, and i would guess plenty of flower/petals too. You can even make wine with leaves from some trees, sap from the likes of birch, sycamore.

    i love foraging for wine stuff. Especially here cos when you stick your hand in a bramble the worst that is like to happen is a thorn prick you, or a nettle sting, or really unlucky a wasp. I'm not so sure what would bite me in the undergrowth down-under.

    Just about to do a little update of the blog .. with gratuitous piccie.

    thanks for stopping by, and i hope we get to share a bottle sometime, or many bottles!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete

 

Counters
Lamps Plus Lighting